Precautions and uses of neodymium magnets

The neodymium magnets are permanent magnets and considered the strongest on Earth. Due to its different characteristics, many uses have been attributed, but they need to be handled with extreme care and precision to avoid accidents. It is for this reason that it is necessary that people know and learn a little about it, in this way we can have a very beneficial material for us.

Precautions of neodymium magnets

Here are some safety guidelines to follow when working with neodymium magnets and radial ring magnets, let’s see what they are:

  • When working with neodymium magnets we must take care to protect the hands and fingers. Two magnets that are attracted can pinch the fingers severely if they have a lot of force. The sensation would not be less than the pressure which can cause injuries among other discomforts.
  • The neodymium magnets are free and floating, they can slam shut with great force. Since they are fragile in nature they can often peel, crack or break, managing to send fragments of magnets all over the place. Therefore it is essential to use protective glasses when handling neodymium magnets.
  • Neodymium magnets have strong magnetic fields. Therefore, if they are left near magnetic media such as computers, hard drives, credit cards, audio tapes and video tapes these magnets are liable to cause damage. Neodymium magnets should also not be left near electronic devices such as televisions, computer monitors and video players.

Children should never be near these magnets. Apart from the fact that they pose a choking hazard due to their small size, also some small parts of the body can be trapped between two magnets and hurt the child.

  • Neodymium magnets should not be brought near a person who uses medical aids such asa pacemaker. The magnet can cause it to not work properly.
  • Magnets are fragile and prone to cracking and chipping. That’s why they do not get along with machining. Only special machines can handle the neodymium magnets and under the supervision of experts.
  • Neodymium magnets should never be heated above 175 ° F or 80 ° C,since they will lose their magnetic properties. In addition, they can ignite and   produce toxic fumes.

Tips for safe handling of magnets

  • Ingestion of swallowing: Children can swallow small magnets. They should not be left within the reach of anyone.
  • If several magnets are ingested, they could stop in the intestine and cause dangerous complications.
  • Magnets are not toys. Make sure children do not play with them.
  • They have electrical conductivity.
  • The magnets are made of metal and conduct electricity.
  • Children can try to put magnets in an outlet and therefore suffer from an electric shock.
  • Large magnets have an attractive force.
  • Reckless use could allow us to cause damage to the fingers or skin between two magnets. This can lead to bruises and bruises.
  • Powerful very large magnets can cause bone fractures.


Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *